Saturday, January 19, 2013

Beers in Mexico - Review


Tecate, a very common beer found in Tijuana, and all over Baja California. Pretty light stuff, very regular stuff, nothing special, pretty much like your Heineken. Drinkable, cheap, but not AWESOME.


Time for the more interesting stuff locals drink here. Modelo, Sol and Corona, common Mexican beers found around the world, is slightly better here. Of all the 3 beers, I would say Modelo is the best here, but nothing to celebrate as it still taste mass produced, but consistently ok.

Beware of Beer + Clamato....It exists here!



Some say beer in a can taste not as good, and after trying Tecate in a bottle and can, as well as Corona and Modelo, I would say I agree with them.


 Now with the good stuff here.

Tijuana beer is a craft beer, and I would say, the taste of Tijuana Morena is much better than all the previous beer I've tried. The bouquet of the beer is still lacking and I would say that if smell was part of the experience (which it is), this beer is definitely short of perfection.

Tijuana Bufadora is slightly darker and does have a good taste as well, the beers are pretty light, very drinkable, but again, the aroma of the hops are not present like Samuel Adams or much of the other German beers I've tried.

Modelo and Negra Modelo is also pretty good. They are great largers, rather blonde, rather light and sweet after taste. Negra Modelo is my favorite thus far, I would say perhaps the taste may not be as great as the Tijuana Beer, but I do like the overall after taste and drinking experience.

Potro is surprisingly interesting to me. Its a dark beer, in fact, it looks like its beer + coffee, and does have a burnt taste to it, but the beer is smooth, light and does not taste anything like a stout. I rather like it, but take it from me, I don't like stouts.

I like Guinness only when it is cold and very fresh, and this is a very much lighter version of Guinness. With almost no aftertaste at all.

Barrilito was the last one I've tried, and compared to the group, I could not even recommend it. I would say, if it was any other day, I may have liked it, but with many other good beers in front of me, I would not say the same.



I would say the beers of Mexico are definitely worth trying and for their price, they are fantastic. Do it the Mexican way too, add some lime and it does improve the taste greatly!

-- Robin Low

No comments: